Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
April 29, 2015 :: With Unity in diversity, moving with an intense pace towards d
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
30वाँ राष्ट्रीय नेत्रदान पखवाड़ा 01 सितम्बर 2015 को
रांची, झारखण्ड । अगस्त । शुक्रवार | 28, 2015 :: 01 सितम्बर 2015 को राष्ट्रीय नेत्रदान पखव.
- Free Medical Health Check up camp by Rotary Club of Ranchi South
- Free health check up camp by Jaypee Hospital.
- Breast Milk is Best for the Baby
- World Breastfeeding Week :: 01 to 07 of August.
- Announcement of the taking over of Abdur Razzaque Ansari memorial Weavers’ Hospital by Medanta.
- Indian Medical Association celebrates Doctor’s Day across all its state branches
- विमेन डॉक्टर्स विंग आई.एम.ए. झारखण्ड एवं स्टेट बैंक ऑफ़ इंडिया के द्वारा नेत्र जाँच कैंप
Friday Box Office :: Phantom [ 28th of August 2015 ]
August | Friday | 28, 2015 :: Friday Box Office :: Phantom [ 28th of August 2015 ] Phantom.
- Friday Box Office :: All Is Well & Manjhi – The Mountain Man [ 21st of August 2015 ]
- Happy Birthday :: Daler Mehndi [ 18th of August ]
- Friday Box Office :: Brothers [ 14th of August 2015 ]
- Happy Birthday :: Sridevi Kapoor [ 13th of August ]
- Happy Birthday :: Jacqueline Fernandez [ 11th of August ]
- Friday Box Office :: Bangistan [ 7th of August 2015 ]
- Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan crosses Rs 300 crore.
Swabhiman Rally in Patna :: Congress has always contributed to the growth of the people of Bihar : Sonia Gandhi
August | Sunday | 30, 2015 :: Sonia Gandhi Addresses 'Swabhiman' Rally in Gandhi Maidan, P.
- The entire nation is shocked at the recent wave of violence in Gujarat : PM Modi in Mann Ki Baat
- जिला एवं प्रखण्ड स्तर पर भी महिला आयोग का गठन किया जाएगा : रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
- झारखण्ड विधानसभा :: मानसून सत्र
- Jharkhand Assembly Monsoon Session :: Protest by Opposition.
- Monsoon Session :: Jharkhand Vidhan Sabha
- बढ़ते शहरीकरण से नगरों पर जनसंख्या का दबाव दिनों-दिन बढ़ रहा है : रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
- BJP wins Bengaluru civic polls; PM Modi says it’s a complete a hat-trick of wins for BJP
Greek crisis :: Dow sheds 200 points : Sensex ends 166 points down : Nifty settles at 8,318.
June 28, 2015 :: The Dow shed 200 points late Monday morning, the S&P 500 fell 1%, and.
- Mudra is our innovation of funding the unfunded : Narendra Modi
- US stocks jumps : Dow Rises more than 200 points.
- BSE Sensex snaps three days of falls, Ends 271 points higher, Insurance companies gain
- GM announced a $5 billion Stock buyback program, GM Shares Climbed on the News.
- BSE Sexsex Slumps over 600 points, Ends Below 29,000
- Online Shopping Store, “indigaga.com” Launched.
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show
ISRO Launched its homemade Satellite GSAT-6 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota
August | Thursday | 27, 2015 :: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched the.
- GAGAN :: The GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation
- Samsung The Safety Truck
- Google celebrates Astronaut Sally Ride’s 64th birthday with a animated doodle
- लोहरदगा का लाल इंजीनियरिंग में दिखा रहा कमाल : पहले कंप्यूटर आॅपरेटिंग रॉबोट अब बनाया एरॉनेटिकल जासूसी ड्रोन
- Electronic Fuel Injection ( EFI )
- India successfully launches IRNSS-1D from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota
- Facebook opens up Messenger to Apps.
Photo of The Day
Lenseye has done commendable efforts in espousing the rights of children and women, in the last 3-4 years. Please continue to do so as children are our biggest and most precious assets. No country or state can progress if the status of children in education. health, nutrition, sanitation and protection, is poor. I wish lenseye all the best in the coming years, as it can leave a indelible mark.
It will b great if we have” App” of this site. A grt achievement “Three Glorious Years” . Can we hv grand page of success story and the people behind this.
Lens Eye is great news publish in Media Group & Portal.
Happy anniversary. You all are doing Great work. Thanks to you all for making such a great news portal.
वर्षगांठ की हार्दिक शुभकामनायें
Its takes an eye to understand an eye what people want. Lens Eye and Jagdish is one of them. Happy Hat-trick.
A good initiative and teamwork. I am associated with Lens from past 2 years now and really enjoy displaying my work on the website. All the best for the future!!!
Lens Eye is a very Good News portal and we appreciate this and hope Lens Eye will grow and get newer heights in future.
Wishing a warm welcome to Lenseye on its 3rd successive anniversary. I wish every success in years ahead to the Lenseye and its all dedicated team members who are working hard day & nights. My best compliment. ……..
यह कहां आ गये हम, यूं ही साथ चलते चलते। फिलहाल तो यही याद आ रहा है इन तीन वर्षों का सफर तय होने की घड़ी में। एक छोटी सी पर ईमानदार शुऱुआत किसी कोशिश को किस मुकाम तक ले जा सकती है, यह लेंस आइ बताता है। जिन सकारात्मक प्रयासों के साथ इसे संचालित किया जा रहा है, वह समाज के काम आये, यही शुभकामना है।