Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
Ranchi, Jharkhand | December | Sunday | 20, 2015 :: After 67 years of Independen
Ranchi, Jharkhand | December | Thursday | 17, 2015 :: The Information superhighw
Ranchi, Jharkhand | September | Tuesday | 29, 2015 :: Strategy :- How Important
April 29, 2015 :: With Unity in diversity, moving with an intense pace towards d
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
चिन्मय मिशन, रांची द्वारा निःशुल्क होम्योपैथिक चिकित्सा शिविर सात फरवरी 2016 को
रांची, झारखण्ड । फरवरी । 04, 2016 :: चिन्मय मिशन, रांची द्वारा निःशुल्क होम्योपैथिक चिकित्.
- As a community, we can help fight the Zika virus by raising awareness :: Mark Zuckerberg
- Zika virus :: The Symptoms
- Zika Virus
- Workshop for Media on Routine Immunization 11th of Dec 2015 in Capitol Hill
- World AIDS Day :: December 1 every year
- Workshop on Dissemination of Menstrual Hygiene Management Programme on 01st of December 2015
- World Toilet Day :: November 19
Friday Box Office :: Fitoor & Sanam Re [ 12th of Feb 2016 ]
February | Friday | 12, 2016 :: Friday Box Office :: Fitoor & Sanam Re Fitoor is an u.
- Friday Box Office :: Ghayal Once Again & Sanam Teri Kasam [ 05 Feb 2016 ]
- Happy Birthday :: Abhishek Bachchan [ 5th of February ]
- Happy Birthday :: Shakira [ 2nd of February ]
- Film Promotion :: Jai Gangajal
- Friday Box Office :: Mastizaade & Saala Khadoos [ 29th of Jan 2016 ]
- Friday Box Office :: Airlift & Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3 [ 22nd of January 2016 ]
- The 61st Filmfare Awards :: The Winners
सरकार हर साल दस हजार बीपीएल महिलाओं को दो गाय देगी :: रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
राँची, झारखण्ड | फरवरी | 09, 2016 :: झारखण्ड के मुख्यमंत्री रघुवर दास ने कहा कि सरकार हर.
- केंद्रीय मंत्री नितिन गडकरी ने झारखण्ड के देवघर में तीन परियोजनाओं का किया शिलान्यास
- अब गांव के लोग ही अपनी प्राथमिकता के अनुसार विकास योजनाओं का चयन करेंगे :: रघुवर दास [मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
- दिल्ली में नए झारखंड भवन के लिये पूजन
- कार्यकर्ता पार्टी के शिल्पकार, जल्द ही पार्टी पहले से भी मजबूत होकर उभरेगी :: बाबूलाल मरांडी [ अध्यक्ष, झाविमो ]
- Happy Birthday :: Priyanka Gandhi [ 12th of January ]
- Happy Birthday :: Shibu Soren [ President, JMM ]
- Lens Eye Special :: President Pranab Mukherjee at Ranchi.
Titan Raga launches the stunning Moonlight collection to celebrate Dussehra and Diwali
Ranchi, Jharkhand | October | Tuesday | 13, 2015 :: With Dussehra and Diwali around the co.
- Greek crisis :: Dow sheds 200 points : Sensex ends 166 points down : Nifty settles at 8,318.
- Mudra is our innovation of funding the unfunded : Narendra Modi
- US stocks jumps : Dow Rises more than 200 points.
- BSE Sensex snaps three days of falls, Ends 271 points higher, Insurance companies gain
- GM announced a $5 billion Stock buyback program, GM Shares Climbed on the News.
- BSE Sexsex Slumps over 600 points, Ends Below 29,000
- Online Shopping Store, “indigaga.com” Launched.
The 2015 Nobel prize for chemistry goes to Tomas Lindahl [Sweden ], Paul Modrich [USA ] and Aziz Sancar [Turkey ]
October | Wednesday | 07, 2015 :: The 2015 Nobel Prize for chemistry has been jointly awar.
- Nobel prize for physics – 2015 won by Takaaki Kajita of Japan and Arthur B McDonald of Canada
- William Campbell of Ireland, Satoshi Omura of Japan & Youyou Tu of China awarded with Nobel Prize for medicine
- ISRO successfully launched India’s first dedicated astronomy satellite Astrosat from Sriharikota
- BOSS to Replace Microsoft Windows
- Apple Pencil
- ISRO Launched its homemade Satellite GSAT-6 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota
- GAGAN :: The GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation