Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
Anthrax is an acute disease caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. Most forms of the.
- Ebola virus disease : Prevention
- Dental Check up Camp on World Lions Service Week.
- Concluding Ceremony of ‘Vision for young Rural Jharkhand’
- Scooties to the best selected Sahaiyas
- Free Medical cum Eye Check up camp.
- Run for Vision 2014.
- IMA [ Jharkhand ] felicitated Dr. Bharti Kashyap & Dr. B.P. Kashyap.
Dance Basanti – Official Song of Ungli on You Tube.
29 October 2014 :: Dance Basanti - Official Song of Ungli is on You Tube. Tittle of the a.
- One Million + Views for “Sam Sandhu – Mehrma | feat Yo Yo Honey Singh | Heartbreak Song Of 2014″, in You Tube.
- Happy New Year’s record-breaking 45 crore opening
- Official Trailer of “Action Jackson” Released on You Tube.
- Friday Box Office : Happy New Year [ 24 October 2014 ]
- “Ei dekha….. humaar Jaggu…. tiranjister ke saath…” tweet Aamir Khan.
- Anushka Sharma poses with the transistor in 4th motion poster of PK
- Friday Box Office : Mumbai 125 KM & Sonali Cable [ 17 October 2014 ]
प्रथम चरण के प्रत्याशियों की सूची, 1 नवम्बर को जारी करेगी आजसू पार्टी
रांची, 30 अक्टूबर 2014 :: आजसू पार्टी की कार्य समिति की बैठक कांके रोड स्थित पार्टी अध्यक.
- Milan samaroh at BJP office.
- Press Meet by Bhartiya Suraaj Dal.
- Arjun Munda shakes hand with Tata Steel Vice President
- ‘Women’s Right Festival’.
- BJP wins in Maharastra and Haryana assembly polls, celebration in Ranchi.
- Protest by Activists of NRHM, contractual Employee Associations
- जनता की मूलभूत आवश्यकता को पूरा किए बिना देश कैसे विकास की ओर अग्रसर होगा : सुदेश कुमार महतो [अध्यक्ष, आजसू पार्टी ]
Inauguration of Cosmic Bajaj.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 17 October 2014 :: Inauguration of Cosmic Bajaj [ a two wheeler Showroo.
- Maruti Suzuki awarded Premsons Motor with Thirteen Awards
- Export Awareness Seminar with Focus on IESS, 2014
- 109th Foundation day of Bank of India [ 7th of September 1906 ].
- राँची के प्रदीप कुमार जैन ‘फंड गुरू अवार्ड’ से सम्मानित
- Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana : “Mera Khata – Bhagya Vidhaata”
- Luv Ertinga Exhibition by Premsons Motor at Ranchi Club on 23rd & 24th of August 2014.
- Signing of Mou between Deep Media & Advertisement Services Pvt. Ltd. & Bishwanjali Pictures Pvt Ltd.
Google celebrates Jonas Salk’s [scientist who developed polio vaccine ] 100th Birthday anniversary with a Doodle.
28 October 2014 :: Google has celebrated the 100th birthday of Dr Jonas Salk, the American.
- Cyclone Nilofar : Warns IMD.
- Google celebrates Mangalyaan’s one month in Mars orbit with a doodle
- Android “Lollipop”
- Cyclone Hudhud.
- Facebook now officially owns WhatsApp.
- Video “BT Cotton in India – The Farmer’s Perspective” on You Tube.
- Mars Orbiter Mission [ MOM ] project : Team