Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
Free Dental Camp in memory of Dr. K.P. Bhagat.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 05 December 2014 :: A Free Dental Camp was organized in Panchwati Plaza,.
- अग्रसेन हितकारिणी सभा, रांची के द्वारा निशुल्क चिकित्सा जाँच शिविर 30 नवम्बर 2014 को
- Ebola virus disease : Prevention
- Dental Check up Camp on World Lions Service Week.
- Concluding Ceremony of ‘Vision for young Rural Jharkhand’
- Scooties to the best selected Sahaiyas
- Free Medical cum Eye Check up camp.
Praneet Bhatt is Eliminated from Bigg Boss Season 8.
21 December 2014 :: Praneet Bhatt is Eliminated from Bigg Boss Season 8. He was nominated.
- PK – Story & Review
- Friday Box Office : PK [ 19th of December 2014 ]
- Aamir Khan PK will release on 19th of December 2014.
- 44 Million + Views for “YouTube Rewind: Turn Down for 2014″, in You Tube.
- Google celebrates actor Raj Kapoor’s 90th birthday with a doodle.
- In Cinemas :: The Hobbit
- 717 Million + Views for “Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J”, in You Tube.
Jharkhand Vidhan Sabha Elections : Counting of Votes – 23rd of December 2014.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 21 December 2014 :: Counting of votes for Jharkhand Vidhan Sabha Electio.
- Jharkhand Assembly Election : Fifth and last Phase :: 70.02% Voting
- Jharkhand Assembly Election : Fifth and last Phase :: Voting
- I urge all those voting in the 5th & final phase of J&K and Jharkhand Assembly polls to turnout in record numbers & vote : tweets Narendra Modi
- Jharkhand Assembly Election : Fifth Phase and last phase :: Voters Turn out Report
- Jharkhand Assembly Election : Phase – 5 :: Get Set Go
- Jharkhand Vidhansabha Election : Fifth phase of Election :: The Star Candidates
- तीन सालों में झारखण्ड को बाघ परियोजना के लिए 4.43 करोड़ तथा हाथी परियोजना के तहत 2.14 करोड़ मिले
A Fevicol Furniture Book Mela by Pidilite
Ranchi, Jharkhand 17 December 2014 :: A Fevicol Furniture Book Mela was organised by Pidil.
- Arora Sports in City
- The 108th celebration of National Insurance Company Limited
- “Conserve Energy and save on the production cost making” पर कार्यशाला का आयोजन
- Launching of Maruti Alto K10
- Inauguration of Cosmic Bajaj.
- Maruti Suzuki awarded Premsons Motor with Thirteen Awards
- Export Awareness Seminar with Focus on IESS, 2014
Winter solstice : Sunday, December 21.
Winter solstice : Sunday, December 21. Winter solstice is an astronomical phenomenon which.
- GSLV Mark3 successfully launched from Sriharikota
- Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mk III
- ISRO successfully launches its heaviest rocket GSLV Mk-III
- Voter-verified paper audit trail
- Tommy Hilfiger launches Solar Power Jackets to charge your phone
- Fullspectrum – UV Printing on Foam Board.