Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
April 29, 2015 :: With Unity in diversity, moving with an intense pace towards d
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
World Asthma Day [ first Tuesday of May ]
May 05, 2015 :: World Asthma Day is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for.
- Reiki helps to balance the Energy : Rashu [ Reiki Master, Pune ]
- Reiki :: Technique for Stress Reduction and Relaxation
- World Hemophilia Day : April 17
- The 60th Hahnemann Jayanti in Ramgarh.
- In History Today : Birth of Samuel Hahnemann [10 April 1755 ]
- नि:शुल्क मेगा स्किन कैम्प 12 अप्रैल 2015 को
- आदर्श ग्राम पंचायत बड़ाम और ग्राम जराटोली में नि:शुल्क नेत्र जांच शिविर
Friday Box Office :: Tanu Weds Manu : Returns [ 22 May 2015 ]
May 22, 2015 :: Friday Box Office :: Tanu Weds Manu : Returns [ 22 May 2015 ] Tanu Weds Ma.
- Happy Birthday :: Nawazuddin Siddiqui [19th of May ]
- Legendary Blues Musician, B.B. King dies at 89 in Las Vegas .
- Friday Box Office :: Bombay Velvet [ 15th of May 2015 ]
- Happy Birthday : Madhuri Dixit [ 15th of May ]
- Happy Birthday :: Sunny Leone [ 13th of May ]
- News Just In :: Actor-filmmaker Shashi Kapoor receives Dadasaheb Phalke award at Prithvi Theatre, Mumbai
- Trailer of “Luckhnowi Ishq” on You tube
कांग्रेस की “गाँव गाँव – पॉव पॉव” यात्रा
रांची, झारखण्ड मई 21, 2015 :: कांग्रेस ने "गाँव गाँव - पॉव पॉव" यात्रा निकाली, यात्रा में .
- Governors of Jharkhand.
- Govt. Received 87 Proposals for setting up FM Radio Stations in different towns/cities in the country in Last Three Years
- हरियाणा के मुख्यमंत्री मनोहर लाल खट्टर जी को जन्मदिवस पर हार्दिक शुभकामनायें। उनके दीर्घायु एवं उत्तम स्वास्थ्य की कामना करता हूँ : tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- 你好中国!期待通过微博与中国朋友们互动. Hello China! Looking forward to interacting with Chinese friends through Weibo : tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Torch light rally on the eve of Jharkhand Bandh
- Lens Eye Exclusive :: NTPC signed a MoU with Government of Jharkhand for 4000 MW power plant.
- CM, Jharkhand Raghubar Das met Opposition leader Hemant Soren regarding Domicile policy.
Mudra is our innovation of funding the unfunded : Narendra Modi
April 08, 2015 :: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday launched MUDRA (Micro Units De.
- US stocks jumps : Dow Rises more than 200 points.
- BSE Sensex snaps three days of falls, Ends 271 points higher, Insurance companies gain
- GM announced a $5 billion Stock buyback program, GM Shares Climbed on the News.
- BSE Sexsex Slumps over 600 points, Ends Below 29,000
- Online Shopping Store, “indigaga.com” Launched.
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show
- Reserve Bank of India cuts Repo Rate by 0.25%, Sensex hits 30,000 mark for first time.
लोहरदगा का लाल इंजीनियरिंग में दिखा रहा कमाल : पहले कंप्यूटर आॅपरेटिंग रॉबोट अब बनाया एरॉनेटिकल जासूसी ड्रोन
लोहरदगा, झारखण्ड अप्रैल 21, 2015 :: खुली आंखों व विश्वास से देखे गए सपने सच हो ही जाते ह.
- Electronic Fuel Injection ( EFI )
- India successfully launches IRNSS-1D from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota
- Facebook opens up Messenger to Apps.
- 4G : Fourth Generation
- Vertical farming
- Apple Watch will be available on April 24 in nine countries. Company unvails its new detail
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show