Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
Free Medical cum Eye Check up camp.
Ranchi,Jharkhand 14 September 2014 :: A Free Medical cum eye Check up camp was organized.
“Phir tukur-tukur dekhat ho? Ee hum nahi hoon, ee humra phi-rend hai, Bhairo Singh. Inki bhet karo, hum aa raha hoon” : Aamir Khan
16 September 2014 :: The third poster for Aamir Khan's upcoming film 'PK' is released. And.
- Aamir Khan’s third ‘PK’ Poster Released
- New Batmobile for ‘Batman v. Superman’, revealed
- Friday Box Office : Creature 3D & Finding Fanny [ 12 Sept 2014 ]
- Exclusive Video ‘Apple – Echoes’, Released on You Tube.
- Dare 2 Dance, a reality dance show will be on Air from 6th of September 2014 on Life OK.
- Friday Box Office : Mary Kom [ 05 Sept 2014 ]
- Exclusive Video of song ‘Meherbaan’ from Bang Bang ‘ Released on You Tube.
Andhra Pradesh BJP collected relief fund for Jammu & Kashmir
Andhra Pradesh, 17 September 2014 :: Andhra Pradesh BJP collected extended help to the flo.
- Happy Birthday : Narendra Damodardas Modi [17th of September ]
- Blankets for Jammu & Kashmir flood victims from Jharkhand.
- Congress screening committee meeting
- 21 सितम्बर को आजसू पार्टी के स्टेट वालेन्टियर (राज्य स्वयंसेवको) को शपथ दिलाई जायेगी
- Lens Eye Exclusive : Agriculture Minister of Jharkhand, Yogendra Saw resigned from his Post.
- Protest by JVM against State Govt.
- Tribute to former JMM leader Durga Soren.
109th Foundation day of Bank of India [ 7th of September 1906 ].
07 September 2014 :: Bank of India ( BoI ) was founded on 7th of September 1906. Bank of I.
- राँची के प्रदीप कुमार जैन ‘फंड गुरू अवार्ड’ से सम्मानित
- Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana : “Mera Khata – Bhagya Vidhaata”
- Luv Ertinga Exhibition by Premsons Motor at Ranchi Club on 23rd & 24th of August 2014.
- Signing of Mou between Deep Media & Advertisement Services Pvt. Ltd. & Bishwanjali Pictures Pvt Ltd.
- Jharkhand CM, Hemant Soren met officer’s of A C C Cement Plant.
- Launching of All Bank Gold Loan Scheme.
- Flat 20% discount on all Titan watches.
Android Jelly Bean
Android "Jelly Bean" refers to three major point releases of the Android mobile operating.
- SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO SDXC : World’s highest capacity SD card.
- Micromax Canvas Nitro.
- After ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana’ Narendra Modi’s Next Big Plan : ‘Digital Cloud’ for every Indian.
- Digital India programme.
- Google celebrates Perseid Meteor Shower – 2014 with an musical animated doodle
- Sony Alpha Photography Workshop.
- In History : Birth of Albert Einstein [ 14 March 1879 ]