Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
National Doctors’ Day – India [1st of July ]
01 July 2014 :: National Doctors' Day is celebrated on 1st of July all across India to ho.
- World No Tobacco Day : 31st of May.
- Inauguration of Critical Care Unit in Nagarmal Modi Sewa Sadan.
- Inauguration of Bhagwan Mahavir Medica Superspecialty Hospital
- World Malaria Day [ 25th of April ]
- Immunization can prevent Infant Mortality.
- World Health Day : 7th of April.
- World Kidney Day : 2nd Thursday in March.
100 Million + likes for Shakira’s Facebook page.
21 July 2014 :: 100 Million + likes for Shakira's Facebook page. Shakira's Facebook pag.
- Official Trailer of “Raja Natwarlal”, Released on You Tube.
- A. R. Rahman to receive Honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music on 24th of Oct.
- Friday Box Office : Amit Sahni Ki List & Hate Story 2 [ 18 July 2014 ]
- First poster of Priyanka Chopra’s ‘Mary Kom’ is out.
- Theatrical Trailer of “Singham Returns”, Released on You Tube.
- Friday Box Office : Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania [ 11th of July 2014 ]
- Zohra Sehgal, an Indian actress and choreographer passed away at the age of 102.
सांसद कोष से होगा शौचलय का निर्माण
22 जुलाई राँची :: विधानसभा क्षेत्र के बेतरकोया को देखकर सहसा ये विष्वास नहीं होता की शहर क.
- Chief Election Commissioner of India, Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath released a books of ‘Sveep Activities in Jharkhand for Lok Sabha Election 2014’.
- V.S. Sampath[Chief Election Commissioner of Election Commission of India] arrives in Ranchi
- Press Conference of Bharatiya Suraaj Dal
- Meeting of Bharatiya Suraaj Dal in Palamau
- Inauguration of Vikash Mela cum Loan distribution camp at Hazaribagh.
- हरमू नदी रांची की जीवन रेखा बन सकती है :: परिमल नथवाणी
- सांसद कोष से मोमिन हाॅल का शिलान्यास
Inauguration of “FashioNIKA”.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 05 July 2014 :: Premium designer boutique "FashioNIKA"[ Timeless Elegent.
- “End of Season Sale” at Lee Exclusive Store, Galaxia Mall.
- “Healthy People Healthy Ranchi” : Juice Lounge [ J D High Street Mall ]
- Inauguration of “Fleur”, The Coffee Shop in Le Lac Hotel.
- Flat 25% Off on all Fastrack products.
- Premsons Motors celebrates 2nd Anniversary.
- Inauguration of PC Jeweller.
- Happy Birthday : Mukesh Ambani [ 19th of April ]
Sony Alpha Photography Workshop.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 20 July 2014 :: Sony India Pvt. Ltd with Digital Electronics [Authorized.
- In History : Birth of Albert Einstein [ 14 March 1879 ]
- The ozone layer restricts Ultraviolet Radiation , says lenseye.co Online Poll.
- “Smokeless cooking for rural women”
- Spot Colour Technique in Photography by David Yeo KH, Singapore.
- Twelve Million + Views for “Amazon Prime Air”, in You Tube.
- Light from the Sun reaches us in nearly 8 minutes, says lenseye.co Online Poll
- Chemical formula for water is H2O, says lenseye.co Online Poll.