Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
Swine Flu : Free Medical Camp.
Ramgarh, Jharkhand 24 March 2015 :: A Free Medicine Camp for Swine Flu was organized at Gu.
- World Tuberculosis Day [March 24 ]
- Mission Indradhanush
- An Awareness programme for the Eradication of H1N1 flu( Swine flu)
- An Awareness programme for eradication of H1N1 flu (Swain flu) at Birsa Chowk on Sunday the 15th March,2015 by STAMBH & Rotary Club of Ranchi South.
- The World Sleep Day : Friday of the second full week of March.
- पिछले तीन साल में देश में कुल 10.72 करोड़ स्वास्थ्य बीमा कार्ड जारी किए : बंडारू दत्तात्रेय [राज्य मंत्री ]
- डॉ भारती कश्यप को झारखण्ड के मुख्यमंत्री ने किया सम्मानित
Happy Birthday :: Lady Gaga [ March 28 ]
March 28, 2015 :: Happy Birthday :: Lady Gaga [ March 28 ] Stefani Joanne Angelina Germano.
- Friday Box Office :: Barkhaa [ March 27, 2015 ]
- Official Trailer of “PIKU” released.
- The 62nd National Awards :: Complete Winners List; Queen, Kangana : The Best
- Happy Birthday : Emraan Hashmi [24th of March ]
- Happy Birthday :: Rani Mukerji [ 21st of March ]
- Friday Box Office : Dilliwali Zaalim Girlfriend & Hunterrr [ 20th of March 2015 ]
- जमशेदपुर की पूजा सिंह होगी ‘सोनचांद’ की सेकेंड लीड एक्ट्रेस
BJP leader and workers celebrate the conferring of Bharat Ratna on Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Ranchi, Jharkhand March 27, 2015 :: BJP leader and workers in Ranchi celebrate the conferr.
- मेरे जैसे करोड़ों देशवासियों के लिए आज का दिन ऐतिहासिक है, जब अटल जी को भारत रत्न दिया जा रहा है : tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Victory & defeat are a part of life. Team India played great cricket throughout the tournament. We are proud of them : tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- CM Jharkhand, Raghubar Das Celebrates Sarhul Festival
- बिहार के स्थापना दिवस पर बिहार के सभी भाईयों और बहनों को शुभकामनाएं। On Bihar Diwas, my heartfelt greetings to the people of Bihar : tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Lens Eye Exclusive :: Goodwill Cricket Match
- Protest Rally against Land Acquisition Act Bill
- खनिज सम्पदा परिपूर्ण झारखंड मात्र वन आच्छादित प्रदेश ही नहीं, बल्कि खेल प्रतिभा का भी धनी प्रदेश है : रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
US stocks jumps : Dow Rises more than 200 points.
12 March 2015 :: Stocks jumped in morning trading Thursday. The Dow Jones industrial avera.
- BSE Sensex snaps three days of falls, Ends 271 points higher, Insurance companies gain
- GM announced a $5 billion Stock buyback program, GM Shares Climbed on the News.
- BSE Sexsex Slumps over 600 points, Ends Below 29,000
- Online Shopping Store, “indigaga.com” Launched.
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show
- Reserve Bank of India cuts Repo Rate by 0.25%, Sensex hits 30,000 mark for first time.
- झारखण्ड बजट :: प्रतिक्रिया
Facebook opens up Messenger to Apps.
25 March 2015 :: Facebook opens up Messenger to third-party Apps. By giving people new way.
- 4G : Fourth Generation
- Vertical farming
- Apple Watch will be available on April 24 in nine countries. Company unvails its new detail
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show
- Sony’s Morpheus virtual reality helmet set for 2016 launch
- About 91% people said India’s first satellite is named after Aryabhatta, says lenseye Online Poll.
- National Science Day : 28th of February