Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
अग्रसेन हितकारिणी सभा, रांची के द्वारा निशुल्क चिकित्सा जाँच शिविर 30 नवम्बर 2014 को
रांची, झारखण्ड 23 नवम्बर 2014 :: अग्रसेन हितकारिणी सभा, रांची के द्वारा एक निशुल्क चिकित्स.
Nigaar Khan is Eliminated from Bigg Boss Season 8.
24 November 2014 :: Nigaar Khan is Eliminated from Bigg Boss Season 8. She was nominated.
- Friday Box Office : Happy Ending [ 21 November 2014 ]
- Nigaar Khan, Dimpy, Karishma Tanna & Sonali Raut are nominated this Week in Bigg Boss Season 8.
- Bigg Boss Season – 8 :: Eliminated Contestants.
- Aarya Babbar evicted from the Bigg Boss House.
- First photo realistic 3D animation film ‘Chaar Sahibzaade’ tax free in Punjab.
- Love is a Waste of Time’ Video Song from Bollywood film ‘PK’ on You Tube.
- Friday Box Office : Kill Dil [ 14 Nov 2014 ]
BJP National President Amit Shah in Baharagora, East Singhbhum.
Baharagora, East Singhbhum 24 November 2014 ::BJP National President Amit Shah addressed a.
- आजसू पार्टी के संदीप वर्मा ने जेवीएम का दामन थामा
- You should not be fooled by false promises made by BJP. I appeal you all to cast each one of your votes in favor of Congress : Sonia Gandhi [ Congress President ]
- Congress is a party which has always fought for the rights of people : Sonia Gandhi [ Congress President ]
- I salute this land of freedom fighters & hard working people : Sonia Gandhi [ Congress President ]
- We have given you the power with Right to Information : Rahul Gandhi [ AICC, Vice President ]
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan became a marketing strategy : Rahul Gandhi [ AICC, Vice President ]
- पीएम ने खाता खुलने पर 500 रुपये मिलने की बात कही थी, किसी को नहीं मिले : राहुल गांधी [ कांग्रेस उपाध्यक्ष ]
Launching of Maruti Alto K10
Ranchi, Jharkhand 05 November 2014 :: Launching of Maruti Alto K10 was held in Ranchi. Eng.
- Inauguration of Cosmic Bajaj.
- Maruti Suzuki awarded Premsons Motor with Thirteen Awards
- Export Awareness Seminar with Focus on IESS, 2014
- 109th Foundation day of Bank of India [ 7th of September 1906 ].
- राँची के प्रदीप कुमार जैन ‘फंड गुरू अवार्ड’ से सम्मानित
- Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana : “Mera Khata – Bhagya Vidhaata”
- Luv Ertinga Exhibition by Premsons Motor at Ranchi Club on 23rd & 24th of August 2014.
Pune girl Vaidehi Reddy, Won Sixth Edition of Doodle4Google Contest.
13 November 2014 :: Google announced the winner of this year's Google doodle design compet.
- Google Marked Philae Lander Touchdown on Comet Nucleus by a animated Doodle
- Better Seed Technology is the future of agriculture to feed the Over 9 Billion strong Population of 2050 : Gurjeet Singh Mann [ Sirsa, Haryana ]
- Google celebrates Jonas Salk’s [scientist who developed polio vaccine ] 100th Birthday anniversary with a Doodle.
- Cyclone Nilofar : Warns IMD.
- Google celebrates Mangalyaan’s one month in Mars orbit with a doodle
- Android “Lollipop”
- Cyclone Hudhud.