Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xit
Ebola virus disease :: Signs and symptoms
Ebola virus disease :: Signs and symptoms Signs and symptoms of Ebola usually begin sudden.
- Ebola Virus Disease
- World Breastfeeding Week : [ 1 to 7 August ]
- World Hepatitis Day [ 28th of July ]
- State-wide campaign to control Diarrhoea from 28th of July
- National Doctors’ Day – India [1st of July ]
- World No Tobacco Day : 31st of May.
- Inauguration of Critical Care Unit in Nagarmal Modi Sewa Sadan.
Aamir Khan’s Second ‘PK’ Poster Released
20 August 2014 :: Aamir Khan's Second 'PK' Poster is Released. In this poster Aamir Khan i.
- ‘Singham Returns’ entered Rs 100 cr club in just five days
- KBC 8 will be aired today with tagline “Yahan Sirf Paise Nahi, Dil Bhi Jeete Jate Hain”
- Teaser of Yo Yo Honey Singh latest song “Desi Kalakaar” Released on You Tube.
- “Singham Returns” Crosses 50 Cr Mark In two Days from its release.
- Patriotic song”Vande Mataram Sujlam Suflam Malayaj”, from Anand Math [ bollywood film ] is now 62 years Old.
- Official Trailer of “Happy New Year”, a bollywood film Released on You Tube.
- Five Million + Views for “Aata Majhi Satakli”, Song from Bollywood film, “Singham Returns”, in You Tube.
Mock Drill for Narendra Modi’s visit.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 20 August 2014 :: Mock Drill was conducted for Narendra Modi's visit.Pri.
- Full tight Security in Prabhat Tara Ground.
- Protest by JSEB Employees.
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal in a press meet.
- सांसद कोष से हुआ सड़क का शिलान्यास
- Demonstration by AJSU near Secretariat.
- Raghubar Das, BJP New National Vice President : Celebration in Jharkhand
- PM’s address to the nation on 68th Independence Day
Signing of Mou between Deep Media & Advertisement Services Pvt. Ltd. & Bishwanjali Pictures Pvt Ltd.
Ranchi, Jharkhand 13 August 2014 :: Signing a Mou between Deep Media & Advertisement S.
- Jharkhand CM, Hemant Soren met officer’s of A C C Cement Plant.
- Launching of All Bank Gold Loan Scheme.
- Flat 20% discount on all Titan watches.
- Inauguration of “FashioNIKA”.
- “End of Season Sale” at Lee Exclusive Store, Galaxia Mall.
- “Healthy People Healthy Ranchi” : Juice Lounge [ J D High Street Mall ]
- Inauguration of “Fleur”, The Coffee Shop in Le Lac Hotel.
Google celebrates Perseid Meteor Shower – 2014 with an musical animated doodle
11 August 2014 :: Google celebrates Perseid Meteor Shower - 2014 with an musical animated.
- Sony Alpha Photography Workshop.
- In History : Birth of Albert Einstein [ 14 March 1879 ]
- The ozone layer restricts Ultraviolet Radiation , says lenseye.co Online Poll.
- “Smokeless cooking for rural women”
- Spot Colour Technique in Photography by David Yeo KH, Singapore.
- Twelve Million + Views for “Amazon Prime Air”, in You Tube.
- Light from the Sun reaches us in nearly 8 minutes, says lenseye.co Online Poll
Congratulations on successful completion of two years of ‘Lens Eye’. My heartiest wishes to you and your whole team for the dedication towards the news portal. I salute you all. thanks… Dr. Sushil Ankan
Lens Eye News portal has completed one year successfully. I congratulate Mr. Jagdish & his most dedicated team for this wonderful achievement. Lens Eye is a landmark in field of modern journalism. I wish Lens Eye to prove himself as a Light house of Journalism. With Best Wishes.
Heartiest congratulation and best wishes on the occasion of 2nd Anniversary of the LENS EYE.
I wish all the success with good work to Lens Eye and the whole team.
दिनों दिन जिंदगी व्यस्त होती जा रही है, इसके साथ ही सूचना का माध्यम में भी तेजी से बदलाव आ रहा है। वहीं लोगों की व्यस्तता को देखते हुए इंटरनेट और मोबाईल के जरिए स्थानीय, राष्ट्रीय, खेल, राजनीति और ज्ञान विज्ञान की नवीनतम जानकारी इंटरनेट पर Lens Eye (www.lenseye.co) के बेबसाइट पर रहता है। इस तरह की अलग और महत्वपूर्ण जानकारी देने के लिए लेंसआई दो सालों से अपनी भूमिका निभा रहा है। इसके लिए पूरी टीम बधाई के पात्र हैं।
Great going keep it up !!!
सीमित संसाधनों में बेहतर कुछ कर पाने का जीता जागता उदाहरण हैं यह पोर्टल| देश दुनिया की सूचनाओं को इंटरनेट के माध्यम से पहुंचाने में लेंस आई ने अनेक बड़े नामों को पीछे छोड़ दिया है. इससे साबित होता है कि जहां चाह वहां राह| बिना अतिरिक्त संसाधनों के ऐसा कर लेंस आई ने नई प्रतिभाओं को उभारने के क्रम में उन्हें अनुभव से भी परिचित कराया है. इसलिए अपने काम में लेंस आई निरंतर आगे बढ़े यही कामना है|
Congratulations and wishing all the Team much success for the future regards.
Lens Eye is an express & versatile portal for current news & views. The compilation is vivid & impressive.
I am very excited to know that “Lens Eye” is celebrating their 2nd Anniversary of effective work of news & social activities with fine photos .Although I personally know Shri Jagdish Singh Ji, associated with NUJ- I who is doing his great job with humbly & dedications but I search openly about this institution all persons praise with open heart. I pray to almighjty to give him great success.for his pious mission