Genetically Engineered Tomato for Lowering Bad Cholesterol ? – Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Ranchi, 18 Nov. 2012 :: The Aztecs called it “the plum thing with a navel” (“xitomatl”), the Germans called it “the apple of paradise”, the French called it “the apple of love” and the scientific name for this “fruit” is lycopersicon lycopersicum (meaning “wolf peach”). But we all know it as “Tomato”.
Tomato, which is actually a fruit, is widely used as a vegetable throughout the world. Tomato is considered as a ‘super food’ as it is packed with lots of desirable nutrients including carotene, vitamin C, and anthocyanin. In fact, tomato is a treasure source for lycopene, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
Consumption of tomato, taken raw (as a puree or in salads) or cooked (as a sauce), has been shown to provide protection against cancer, reduces urinary tract symptoms, and protects skin against harmful UV rays. There is also indication that tomato consumption might reduce the cardiovascular risk associated with type 2 diabetes.
Now, recent research performed by a group of researchers in the laboratory of Dr. Alan Fogelman at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA, showed for the first time that consumption of a genetically engineered tomato reduced plaque build-up in the arteries (atherosclerosis) of animals.
Results of this research work were presented in the Scientific Sessions of the recently concluded American Heart Association Annual Meeting (November, 2012) held at Los Angeles.
In this study, the tomato plant was genetically modified to produce a peptide (a string of amino acids), known as peptide 6F, that mimicked the actions of a protein found in the high density lipoprotein (HDL – also known as good cholesterol).
These researchers were able to effectively create tomatoes producing biologically active peptide 6F. They then freeze-dried these tomatoes and used the freeze-dried powder to feed mice that did not have the ability to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL – also known as “bad cholesterol”) from their blood. These mice, when fed with Western-style high-fat, high calorie diet, readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis. Researchers found that mice that were fed powders of these genetically modified tomatoes along with the high-fat diet had significantly higher levels of good cholesterol in their blood, developed less inflammation and had reduced levels of atherosclerotic plaques.
If these results also hold true in humans, then in the near future doctors might “prescribe” this genetically modified tomato, instead of any cholesterol-lowering drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, for treating high blood cholesterol levels in patients.
This will be the first “drug” that will be ‘grown’ in the fields rather than ‘manufactured’ in a factory.
Dr. Hemanta K. Sarkar
Education – Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Profession & Working Place – Knowledge-Based Service Provider (Biotech Consultant & Science Editor/Writer); work from home.
April 29, 2015 :: With Unity in diversity, moving with an intense pace towards d
15 June 2014 :: Five Habits a Photographer Should Learn Photography is an art, s
08 April 2014 :: Amongst all the planets of the solar system, earth is the most
02 March 2014 :: Modern Indian women have played a vital role in leading the wor
Ranchi, 23 December 2012 :: Are Humans Still Evolving? “Do you think that humans
Announcement of the taking over of Abdur Razzaque Ansari memorial Weavers’ Hospital by Medanta.
Ranchi, Jharkhand | July | Sunday | 26, 2015 :: Chairman and Managing Direction of Medanta.
- Indian Medical Association celebrates Doctor’s Day across all its state branches
- विमेन डॉक्टर्स विंग आई.एम.ए. झारखण्ड एवं स्टेट बैंक ऑफ़ इंडिया के द्वारा नेत्र जाँच कैंप
- Dental Check up Camp by Rotary Club of Ranchi South.
- National Doctors’ Day : India :: 1st of July.
- International Yoga Day : 21st of June
- World Blood Donor Day :: Every year on 14th of June
- मधुमेह और ज्योतिषशास्त्र
Happy Birthday :: Sonu Nigam
July | Thursday | 30, 2015 :: Happy Birthday :: Sonu Nigam Sonu Nigam is an Indian singer.
- Happy Birthday :: Dhanush [ 28th of July ]
- Salman Khan starrer, ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ collects Rs 184 crore in first week.
- In Cinemas :: Ant-Man
- ‘Baahubali’ poster breaks Guinness World Record with world’s biggest poster.
- Happy Birthday :: Himesh Reshammiya [ 23rd of July ]
- Marvel’s Ant-Man | Legacy | In Cinemas July 24
- Baahubali: The Beginning :: The Story
सीधी बात :: महत्वपूर्ण पदों पर बैठे प्रशासनिक अधिकारी, मानवीय मूल्यों को समझे : रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखण्ड ]
रांची, झारखण्ड | जुलाई। 28, 2015 :: सूचना भवन में आयोजित सीधी बात कार्यक्रम में राज्य के अ.
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das meets people during Janta Darbar
- We will give Bihar more than what we promised : Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a function in Patna, Bihar
- We already have the River Ganga. We will now bring an ‘Energy Ganga’ (Urja Ganga) to Bihar : Modi in a function in Patna.
- The time is done to sit in Delhi and formulate plans : PM Modi in Patna.
- Development is the remedy to all problems :: Narendra Modi.
- झारखंड की जनता को सरकार से काफी अपेक्षाएं : रघुवर दास [ मुख्यमंत्री, झारखंड ]
- देश के लगभग 55,669 गांवों में अभी तक मोबाइल कवरेज नहीं :: 10,398 गांवों के साथ उडि़सा पहले स्थान पर
Greek crisis :: Dow sheds 200 points : Sensex ends 166 points down : Nifty settles at 8,318.
June 28, 2015 :: The Dow shed 200 points late Monday morning, the S&P 500 fell 1%, and.
- Mudra is our innovation of funding the unfunded : Narendra Modi
- US stocks jumps : Dow Rises more than 200 points.
- BSE Sensex snaps three days of falls, Ends 271 points higher, Insurance companies gain
- GM announced a $5 billion Stock buyback program, GM Shares Climbed on the News.
- BSE Sexsex Slumps over 600 points, Ends Below 29,000
- Online Shopping Store, “indigaga.com” Launched.
- Ford launches e-Bikes at Mobile show
GAGAN :: The GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation
July 13, 2015 :: The GPS aided geo augmented navigation or GPS and geo-augmented navigatio.
- Samsung The Safety Truck
- Google celebrates Astronaut Sally Ride’s 64th birthday with a animated doodle
- लोहरदगा का लाल इंजीनियरिंग में दिखा रहा कमाल : पहले कंप्यूटर आॅपरेटिंग रॉबोट अब बनाया एरॉनेटिकल जासूसी ड्रोन
- Electronic Fuel Injection ( EFI )
- India successfully launches IRNSS-1D from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota
- Facebook opens up Messenger to Apps.
- 4G : Fourth Generation
Photo of The Day
Send Your Message/Suggestion
Lens Eye's e-Calender 2016
- 1st July 2015 :: Event Open
- 30th October 2015 :: Last date for sending entries.
- 8th November 2015 :: Entries will be sent for Judging.
- 22nd November 2015 :: Last date for Judges to send the selected entries.
- 13th December 2015 :: Launching of Lens Eye's e-calender 2016.