How to Prevent Indigestion
The best way to prevent indigestion is to avoid the foods and situations that seem to cause it.
Here are some other suggestions:
* Eat small meals so the stomach does not have to work as hard or as long.
* Eat slowly.
* Avoid foods that contain high amounts of acids, such as citrus fruits and tomatoes.
* Reduce or avoid foods and beverages that contain caffeine.
* If stress is a trigger for your indigestion, learn new methods for managing stress, such as relaxation and biofeedback techniques.
* If you smoke then Quit Smoking.
Smoking can irritate the lining of the stomach.
* Cut back on alcohol consumption, because alcohol can also irritate the stomach lining.
* Avoid wearing tight-fitting garments, because they tend to compress the stomach, which can cause its contents to enter the esophagus.
* Don’t exercise with a full stomach.
* Don’t lie down right after eating.
* Sleep with your head elevated (at least 6 inches) above your feet and use pillows to prop yourself up. This will help allow digestive juices to flow into the intestines rather than to the esophagus.