August | Saturday | 15, 2015 :: Prime Minister of India address to the nation from the ramparts of Red Fort on the occasion of 69th Independence Day. This was Modi’s second Independence Day address,
Highlights of PM speech
* The issue of ‘One Rank One Pension’ came up in front on every government. Some even made small promises. Issue could not be solved. I assure the servicemen and I am saying it under the Tricolour from the Red Fort- we have accepted OROP. Some talks are still on. The way the talks are going on I am expecting something positive.
* This is no ordinary morning. This is a morning of hope of the dreams and aspirations of 125 crore Indians
* Simplicity and unity are India’s strength, it should never be tainted or hurt.
* Poison of casteism and passion of communalism have no place in India, we have to defeat these through development.
* Modi says if the unity of India is destroyed, then the dreams of the people will also be destroyed.
Nobody wants to remain poor. Those who are poor want to move away from poverty. That is why, all our programmes must be for the poor.
* Rs 20,000 crore were deposited in 17 crore Jandhan bank accounts.
* All our programmes and institutions should be helpful to the poor; have to empower them through financial inclusion.
* Almost 4.25 lakh toilets were built in 2.62 schools nationwide in one year; this gives self-confidence that we can do what we want.
* Dignity of labour has to be our national duty, it has to be a part of our nature.
* India can be free of corruption; need lots of measures; have to start from top.
* All govts make programmes but what matters is implementation.
* 20 lakh people have given up LPG subsidy, this is aimed at helping the poor.
* Coal block auction has been undertaken by the govt, national exchequer will get Rs 3 lakh crore.
* Some people are worried about tough law on black money; it has ensured that nobody dares to take black money out of the country.
* Corruption had become part of the system; contractors were running the nation; we have taken steps to correct the system.
* In 15 months, there is no allegation of corruption against my govt; I am determined to end the termite of corruption.
* Agriculture Ministry to be renamed as Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare for institutionalised care of the farmers.
* We affirm our commitment to provide electricity to all those villages that do not have electricity.
* We are looking at systems for enabling start-ups. We must be Number 1 in start-ups. ‘Start-up India’ and ‘Stand up India’.
* Why does somebody have to seek ‘Seefarish’ when a job is sought. It is not proper.