28 January 2015 :: US President Barack Obama addressed a selected gathering of 2,000 students at Siri Fort auditorium in New Delhi on Tuesday. In this conclusive event before wrapping up his three-day visit, he suprised the audience throughout the speech which started with a ‘namaste’ and ended with ‘Jai Hind’.
Before an audience of 2000 people, including his wife First Lady Michelle Obama and Nobel Peace winner Kailash Satyarthi, Obama made various references to India’s secularism, its women and children and stressed on religious freedom and tolerance.
Highlights of his speech
* “Bahut dhanyavad” for bringing us back to India
* This is a country where a Dalit can write the Constitution or a tea-seller can become a prime minister.
* India will succeed so long as it is not splintered on religious lines. Every person has the right to practice their religion how they choose.
* So long as all Indians go to the movies to applaud an actor like Shah Rukh Khan or athletes like Milkha Singh or Mary Kom…
* Sometimes I have been discriminated against on the basis of the colour of my skin.
* The world will be safer, more just place when our two democracies – largest and oldest – stand together. Both our countries have known the anguish of terror and we stand committed to the defence of our people.
* India and the United States are not just natural partners – I believe that America can be India’s best partner.
* Every woman should be able to go about her day – to walk the street, or ride the bus – and be safe and be treated with the respect and dignity that she deserves.
* More than a hundred years ago America welcomed a son of India-Swami Vivekananda. Swami Vivekananda helped bring Yoga to our country.
* Senorita, bade bade deshon mein… you know what I mean.
* Michelle is a better dancer than I am. Sometimes this hurts my feelings.
* I am married to a very strong and talented woman. Michelle is not afraid to speak her mind to me.
* As Americans, we believe in the promise of India. We believe in the people of India.
* And we are proud to be your friend and partner as you build the country of your dreams. Jai Hind !