August | Thursday | 27, 2015 :: The government released a list of 98 cities, including 24 state capitals, which are to be developed as smart cities. Mumbai, Kolkata, Lucknow, Jaipur, Ranchi and Bhubaneswar are among the cities that have found place in the coveted Smart Cities project list. All Union Territories, including Delhi, have found place in the list. 13 cities are from UP, 12 from Tamil Nadu, 10 from Maharashtra, 7 from MP, and 3 each from Bihar and Andhra Pradesh are included in smart cities list. Centre has earmarked Rs 48,000 crore for development of smart cities.
Smart City’s in India :: As the global population continues to grow at a steady pace, more and more people are moving to cities every single day. Experts predict the world’s urban population will double by 2050 – which means we’re adding the equivalent of seven New Delhi Cities to the planet every single year. Urban areas also contribute a higher share of GDP. In India, the urban poputation is currently 31% of the total population and it contributes over 60% of India’s GDP. It is projected that urban India will contribute nearly 75% of the national GDP in the next 15 years. Cities are accordingly referred to as the engines of economic growth. There is accordingly a crying need for the cities to get smarter to handle this large-scale urbanization and finding new ways to manage complexity, increase efficiency, reduce expenses, and improve quality of life.
The key features of a Smart City is in the intersect between competitiveness, Capital and Sustainability. The smart cities should be able to provide good infrastructure such as water, sanitation, reliable utility services, health care; attract investments; transparent processes that make it easy to run a commercial activities; simple and on line processes for obtaining approvals, and various citizen centric services to make citizens feel safe and happy.
List of Smart Cities
|Sl.No.||Name of State/UT||No. of cities shortlisted||Names of selected cities|
|1.||Andaman & Nicobar Islands||1||Port Blair|
|2.||Andhra Pradesh||3||1. Vishakhapatnam/ 2. Tirupati/ 3. Kakinada|
|5.||Bihar||3||1. Muzaffarpur/ 2. Bhagalpur/ 3. Biharsharif|
|7.||Chhattisgarh||2||1. Raipur/ 2. Bilaspur|
|8.||Daman and Diu||1||Diu|
|9.||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||1||Silvassa|
|10.||Delhi||1||New Delhi Muncipal Council|
|12.||Gujarat||6||1. Gandhinagar/ 2. Ahmedabad/ 3. Surat/ 4. Vadodara/ 5. Rajkot/ 6. Dahod|
|13.||Haryana||2||1. Karnal/ 2. Faridabad|
|16.||Karnataka||6||1. Mangaluru/ 2. Belagavi/ 3. Shivamogga/ 4. Hubbali – Dharwad/ 5. Tumakuru/ 6. Davanagere|
|19.||Madhya Pradesh||7||1. Bhopal/ 2. Indore/ 3. Jabalpul/ 4. Gwalior/ 5. Sagar/ 6. Satna/ 7. Ujjain|
|20.||Maharashtra||10.||1. Navi Mumbai/ 2. Nashik/ 3. Thane/ 4. Greater Mumbai/ 5. Amravati/ 6. Solapur/ 7. Nagpur/ 8. Kalyan-Dombivilli/ 9. Aurangabad/ 10. Pune|
|25.||Odisha||2||1. Bhubaneshwar/ 2. Raurkela|
|27.||Punjab||3||1. Ludhiana/ 2. Jalandhar/ 3. Amritsar|
|28.||Rajasthan||4||1. Jaipur/ 2. Udaipur/ 3. Kota/ 4. Ajmer|
|30.||Tamil Nadu||12||1. Tiruchurapalli/ 2. Tirunelveli/ 3. Dindigul/ 4. Thanjavur/ 5. Tiruppur/ 6. Salem/ 7. Vellore/ 8. Coimbatore/ 9. Madurai/ 10. Erode/ 11. Thoothukudi/ 12. Chennai|
|31.||Telangana||2||1. Greater Hyderabad 2. Greater Warangal|
|33.||Uttar Pradesh**||12||1. Moradabad/ 2. Aligarh/ 3. Shaharanpur/ 4. Bareilly/ 5. Jhansi/ 6. Kanpur/ 7. Allahabad/ 8. Lucknow/ 9. Varanasi/ 10. Ghaziabad/ 11. Agra/ 12. Rampur|
|35.||West Bengal||4||1. New Town Kolkata/ 2. Bidhannagar/ 3. Duragapur/ 4. Haldia|
The Key Features of Smart City’ Project :
* Automatic traffic signal: In case of heavy traffics routes will be automatically diverted.
* Better Public transport facility: To reduce traffic on roads, there will be improvement in existing public transport system.
* Quick accident relief: In case of accident or fault in a vehicle, people will get help in just one call. They will get help through CCTV too.
* Smart Traffic system: On the lines of London’s Smart Traffic System, people will get the information regarding heavy traffic in advance. At present, Bangalore has this system.
* Data Centre : The prime feature of Smart City projects will be Data Centre. It will hold information about every city.
* Face Identification System to catch criminals : On the lines of Paris, the Smart City will have Face Identification System in place to catch criminals. The photos and DNA of criminals and suspects will be entered in computer and information will also be shared with other cities. After the scanning face, an alert message will be sent to police control room and this message will be forwarded to nearest police station so criminals can be nabbed easily. This system will help in controlling the crime.
* Control Room : There will be an integrated control room for crime, health, services and traffic for better coordination to provide quick help to people.