26 February 2015 :: Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu in his first Rail Budget announced a record investment plan of over Rs. 1 lakh crore in 2015-16 while sparing the passengers of a fare hike. The chartered accountant-turned politician also proposed a number of steps to increase passenger amenities.
Highlights of Mr Prabhu’s Speech
* No increase in passenger fares
* No new trains announced
* Tickets can be booked 120 days in advance instead of 60 days to tackle tout menace.
* Railway will start SMS alert service for passenger’s.
* Outlay for passenger amenities increased by 67%
* Railway to have all India Helpline Number 138.