Ranchi, Jharkhand | December | 23, 2020 ::The Indian Institute of Management celebrated the closing ceremony of 22nd Annual Convention of the Strategic Management Forum. This event was conducted for three days (21st -23rd) December 2020 at IIM Ranchi premises. The theme for the event was Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship: A reflection on the last three decades and the way forward.
The Director of the Institute, Prof. Shailendra Singh welcomed all the guest speakers, faculty, staff and students connected physically and online mode. He said, “We have to make our country self-reliant. The focus should be on Research and development. Strategic Management will take center stage here. We will have to decide what strategic management tool can be used to get each person vaccinated in the country, what strategic management tools can be used for farmers and agricultural organizations to become sustainable”.
The event was graced by the Shri. Prof. Rishikesha T Krishnan, Director IIM Bangalore as the Chief Guest. He said that, “We see a transition in value creation companies globally. Earlier, the value creation was done best by IT-related and consumer-related companies, but we are moving to internet-based companies. These companies will take center stage in the discussion of strategy, which earlier used to be a part of the post discussion. We are yet to see these changes in India, but we are indeed moving towards it.
Shri. Sudarshan Chakrabarti, CEO, PVUNL , graced the event as Guest of Honour. He said, “This convention could not be held at a better time when the whole world is slowly recovering from the pandemic’s worst phase. This pandemic has taught us how to come out of a disaster on a true front”.
Prof. A. Sahay, Dean (Research), Professor of Strategic Management, BIMTECH during the closing ceremony said, ” Prof. Shailendra has been standing strong. He has been guiding us, helping us, and backing us even in the pandemic. I congratulate him for becoming the chair of the Strategic Management Forum”.
Prof. Bhimaraya Metri, , Director IIM Nagpur said, “It was a great initiation from IIM Ranchi. IIM Ranchi has set new benchmarks for all of us, which will act as a guide for future conventions. This convention has taken place in the new normal. It has been a unique way of celebrating the 22nd annual convention of the Strategic Management Forum”.
Prof. Swarup Kumar Dutta member SMF 2020 shared the report with audience and highlighted that there were 6 sub-themes were –
The Evolution of Strategic Management Thought in Emerging Markets,
Strategic Management Process (Its evolution and way forward),
Corporate Strategy (A Journey of three decades and way forward),
Competitive and Cooperative Strategy (Past, Present and Future),
Emergence of Strategy as Practice,
SMF received submissions from 60 different institutions spread across 17 States. We received about 100 submissions which were sent to 150 reviewers for the providing feedback and suggestions. The papers covered Pan- India participation as well as an International Submission. After the review process 58 submissions were included for presentation during this event which included 8 cases.
The major sub themes that were discussed were
1. Strategic Management in Times of Uncertainty and the speakers were Mr. Birender Ahluwalia (CEO, The Positivity Company), Mr. George Thomas (MD Protiviti – Middle East & North Africa) , Mr. Arun Shukla (Executive Director, Dalmia Cements) and Prof. K. Rangarajan* (Head IIFT Kolkata)
2. Research in Entrepreneurship: Changing Paradigms in Emerging Markets and the speakers were Mr. Amitesh Anand (Co-Founder & CEO, 366Pi), Mr. Ujwal Makhija (Founder Phonon Communications Pvt. Ltd, Prof. Sunil Shukla (Director EDII), Prof. Atanu Ghosh * (Dean, School of Management & Entrepreneurship, IIT Jodhpur) and the session co ordinators were Prof Rohit Kumar/Prof. Satya Prakash/Prof. Faisal Mohammad Ahsan
3. Digital Disruption and Business Model Innovation in Emerging Economies) and the speakers were Mr. Venkat Nott (Founder Vinculum Group), Mr. Prashant Hoskote (President and Lead L & S Custodian at Striking Ideas LLC), Mr. Bhavik Khera (Entrepreneur and Vice Chairman, CII Central Gujarat Zonal Council), Prof. S Raghunath* (Professor, Strategy, IIM Bangalore) and Session coordinators were Prof. Faisal Mohammad Ahsan/ Prof. Swarup Kumar Dutta.
4. Writing a Case study and the speakers were Ms. Arohini Narain (Centre Manager, XLRI Case Research & Development), Prof. Debapratim Purkayastha* (Director IBS Case Research Centre and Prof. Amita Mital (Professor, IIM Lucknow) and the session co-ordinators were Prof. Rohit Kumar/ Prof. Swarup Kumar Dutta
5. Nuances of the Publishing process and the speakers for the session were Prof. Deepak Sinha* (Professor, Strategy and Entrepreneurship, Shiv Nadar University), Prof. Samir K Srivastava (Editor, Metamorphosis, IIM Lucknow) and Prof. Anirvan Pant (Professor, IIM Calcutta) and the Session coordinators: Prof. Subhasree Mukherjee/ Prof. Faisal Mohammad Ahsan
6. Case Method of Teaching and the speakers were Prof. Ganesh N Prabhu* (Professor, IIM Bangalore) and Prof. Ashutosh Kumar Sinha (IIM Lucknow) and the session co ordinators were Prof. Rohit Kumar / Prof. Faisal Mohammad Ahsan
The program concluded with vote of thanks proposed by Prof. Rohit Kumar Strategic Management Area Convener SMF 2020.