The word Yoga means Unity or oneness and is derived from the Sanskrit word YUJ, which means to join. The Unity or joining is described in spiritual term as the Union of individual consciousness with the Universal consciousness.
On more practical level, Yoga is a means of Balancing and harmonizing the body, mind and emotion. This is done through the practice of Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha, Shatkarma and Mediattion.
Though many thinks of Yoga only a physical exercise, where people twist, stretch and breath in the most complex ways, these actually only the most superficial aspects of this profound science of unfolding the infinite potentials of the human mind and soul.
The science of Yoga imbibes the complete essence of the way of life. Yoga allows us to be more aware of ourself and feels connected. As such Yoga is a process of self discovery. This leads us to Self mastery and self realization
Lets us check, which precautionary measures should be taken while doing Yoga.
* In attaining peace of mind, yoga should be practiced in a quiet place, where fresh air envelops you for fresh breathing of the mind.
* It should be away from the noise.
* Initially one may feel stiffness in muscles, but it will ease out after regular practice. Physical comfort is an important as mental comfort, while practicing yoga. Hence clean, lose, free flowing cloths, preferably cotton garments should be worn.
* The body has to be stretched in all direction, yogic practice has to be done on a clean mat, carpet or blanket.
* One should practice yoga on ground and not on Sofas and Beds.
* Practicing yoga in a wrong manner can aggravate the negatives, rather than developing positive changes in the body and mind.
* Sweating may come during the practice. Do not wipe the body with a towel instead rub the body with palms.
* Pay attention before your breath : It is important to focus on your breath and coordinate the movement every time you inhale and exhale.
* Remove Spectacles, watches or any cumbersome jewelery or ornaments.
* Avoid Spicy food.
* Do not compare : You should never compare yourself with fellow practitioner. Yoga is a non competitive practice. All you need to do is to aware of your abilities.
* People suffering from serious problems like Heart trouble, high or low blood pressure or any serious organic disease, should avoid asanas which may prove dangerous.
* It is recommended that you either practice early in the morning or in the early evening on a relatively empty stomach
– Jagdish Singh
( Yoga Instructor )
Author is President to
Department of Yoga, Alumni Association, Ranchi University.